Friday, August 7, 2009

Im so excited!

Our propane ran out two days ago and we wont be able to get anymore for about three weeks. What is so exciting about this is that we are going to be able to make good use of the solar shower bag I bought last year. Before now weve only used it for doing camp dishes one weekend. Now we get to use it everyday. If youve never seen one , its like a giant hot water bottle that holds 5 gallons of water and has pockets in the bottom to hold your soap , toothbrushes and whatever. You fill it up(I only fill it up half way because I cant lug 5 gallons of water into the house), then leave it outside in the sun for 3 hours and you have hot water! bring it into the house and hang it in the shower and there you go. Granted, it only has a inch and a half shower head and it hangs kind of low , but it works. We also are using 2 electric tea kettles that hold about 1/2 gallon each and heat up in about 3 min. Were using tons less energy than it takes to warm the hot water heater 24 hours a day and a lot less water, because its not as fun to stand under a inch and a half shower head as it is a 5 in one. Ive heard it takes 21 times to start a habit, i wonder if we can start habits in the next 3 weeks that will make spending $600 to fill up our propane tank not so inviting. (I doubt it , im the only one in the house that is the least bit excited about this developement, to say the least.) My garden isnt doing much , I got 2 summer squash out of it and about three dozen potatoes and a dozen tomatoes. I have beans peas and lettuce coming up now.I thought it was the weather ,but it must be just me, because wes went up to get eggs from his friend the other day and he came home with three grocery bags of veggies(peppers, cucmbers, cabbage,squash and broccoli) from his garden.That was so exciting also, Weve been eating them all week. I made refrg. pickles, broccoli, tomato, squash, goulash, hot pepper,zucchini, and carrot stir fry and stuffed cabbage, and I also put some in the freezer. I think since the only thing Im getting out of my squash plants are blossoms, im going to start making battered squash blossoms ( we tried them before and they taste just like fried zucchini) : Pick 2 doz.large squash blossoms before they open, wash them in cold water, drain on paper towels, beat 2 eggs,1 cup milk,2 tbsp flour , salt and pepper, coat blossoms with batter and fry in hot oil,sprinkle with salt. Have a good weekend, were going to the cleveland zoo with uncle mike.
love sandi

No comments: