Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday Morning Thoughts

I went to a conference in Toledo this week. It was a difficult topic, human trafficking and prostitution. It got into treatment for adults and children who have endured this type of thing. It also touched on addictions, etc. In one session I met with a bunch of people from churches in the area and we talked about what we could do about it. As far as the addiction part of it, I simply said we need to start talking about addiction, pornography, drugs, etc. We need to deal with these topics and learn to build the body up so that people don't continue to be afraid of sharing their struggles. The longer the secrets are kept, the more powerful the evil of addiction becomes.

Friday morning, as I was getting ready for the day, I was reading the book of Haggai. I read a portion I had underlined at an earlier time and was struck by it so I thought I'd share this with you as well as some of my thoughts on it.

vs. 4-6 "Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple to lie in ruins?" Now therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: "Consider your ways!
"You have sown much and bring in little; You eat, but do not have enough; You drink, but you are not filled with drink; You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; And he who earns wages, earns wages to put into a bag with holes."

This is the portion of scripture, which as I said, I'd read before, but this time it struck me a little different. I'd like to get your thoughts on this before I post what God seemed to speak to me about through this.
Love you all.
Uncle Mike

2 comments:

Rogers Family Fun said...

well, in my bible before Haggai begins, it explains what Haggai is all about , but I did like the last two sentences which say "When the people give priority to God and his house, they are blessed. Obedience brings the encouragement and strength of Gods spirit." kind of goes along with what Ahley and I were talking about in John 4:32 when the disciples are trying to make Jesus eat and he says "i have food to eat that you dont know about" "My food is to do what the one who sent me wants me to do and to finish the work he has given me" We , like the disciples, are alway focused on earthly things like food and clothes and Jesus is trying to make them understand that there are more important things they should be concerning themselves with.
Sandi

Rogers Family Fun said...

How interesting it would be to pair that idea (when people give priority to God and his house they are blessed) with 1Corinthians 3:16 Dont you know that you are Gods temple and that Gods spirit lives in you. If anyone destroys Gods temple God will destroy him because Gods temple is holy. You are that holy temple.
Sandi